Thursday, March 17, 2011

Mama Said There'd Be Days Like This- Mama Kat's Workshop

"Listen to your mother" is a common phrase that can be heard ringing through several American homes. The hubby/father comes home like clockwork from his daily commute to be greeted by a smooch from his exasperated wife and then a barrage of questions, reiterations by second-opinion seekers, and the occassional tattle-tale that resembles one of his children. And often times those inquiries can all be addressed and, frankly, dismissed with a "go ask your mother" or a "listen to your mother" blanket statement. At least, that is how the cookie crumbled where I grew up. Very rarely did we actually have to be disciplined or reprimanded by my dad. And he was seldomly saught out in the event of a teenage crises. Mom was our go-to gal!

My mom always told me that her mission was to raise her kids. And indeed she put her heart, soul, blood, sweat, and tears into our short time in her home. Whenever I had a challenge, my mom was in my corner. At every sporting event my mom was shouting "go sis" and encouraging me to do my best. When heartache occurred my mom held me while I cried. When we moved to a new farm in high school and I was missing my friends...my mom stressed the importance of family....that home is where ever your family is. And when I found out I was pregnant as an unmarried 20 year old...my mom embraced the joy of being a Grandma and taught me how to be a mommy.

Her devotion and dedication to my siblings and myself wasn't lost on me. She sacrificed much to ensure that moments big and small were shared with her. She taught me to enjoy the simple things, to laugh often, and to love with all of your heart. Hard work was a daily lesson as we learned to garden, helped work the cattle, and watched our mom make clothes, blankets, dish rags and anything else you can imagine. You name it...my mom did it. She was a farm girl through and through...raising her kids to be self-sufficient, reliable, and hard workers.

All of those are wonderful lessons, but I think the most important was the lesson she taught us regarding time management. When I first became a mother she told me to spend my time with my kids not with chores because "your kids will never remember if the house was clean; they will remember the time you spent with them". It's the greatest lesson she has ever taught me...and I'm thankful for her teachings.


I wrote this post as part of Mama Kat's writer's workshop. I chose prompt:
2) 10 things my mother taught me

Mama’s Losin’ It

Copy and Paste Code

9 comments:

Crystal said...

I loved your post!! It has a great "feel good" vibe to it!!
Happpy St. Patricks Day =)

LeadingMama said...

Thank goodness my kids won't remember that the house wasn't clean! SO TRUE. I chose the same prompt today. It was fun to write and I love seeing your lessons, too. Hopped over from mama kat's!

Big Fat Gini said...

That really made me miss my mom!

As a kid, I was a lot closer to my dad. But, now that I'm a mom myself, I keep discovering that all of the times she was so hard on me were so I could become the mom and woman she knew I would be. Such a great post. Love, love, love!

Patty said...

Sweet post but now I'll have that song "Mama said.." running through my head, alllll day, lol

Have my late Mom on my mind because today is her birthday.

Your Mom was one very special lady!

Hugs,
Patty

Ms. Blasé said...

Wow. Just wow. This post was so amazing... and so true of all great Moms. I can remember my Mother being at my soccer games, being the one who stayed up to help me with papers and science projects, making my Halloween costumes by hand... To this day, I still think of her as Super Woman. Dad, on the other hand, was that guy who came in, ate, read the newspaper and watched television until it was bedtime. Yes, I love them both, but Moms are just exceptional. I'm so glad that you have all of those positive memories of yours.

And, um, not meaning to break up such a sentimental warm-fuzzy moment, I've got something for you at my blog. I hope you'll accept it. No matter what you decide, please just have a rockin' St. Patty's Day!!!

Amy said...

That is so lovely. I wish my mom had been like that. My mom was really more the work 50 hours a week and hide in her room all weekend kind of mom. But she knows she didn't do motherhood right and has since encouraged me to stay at home with my kids as long as possible, but at the same time not rely wholly on my husband just in case. She drives me nuts sometimes but I know she speaks out of regret so I try to listen and be the mother she never got to be.

Jessica said...

Such a sweet post to your mom. It's great that she is so supportive of you and taught you so many things in life. My mom also tells me to spend time with my kids and not on the chores. Your kids are only young once and we want to enjoy the time we have with them.

Jessica
http://mytimeasmom.com

Sandra said...

Very similar to what a friend of mine said, "The dishes will still be in the sink after you've held your baby." Unfortunately, the dishes are still in the sink now and I have no babies anymore, but that's neither here nor there.
Lovely post!

Karen, author of "My Funny Dad, Harry" said...

That is a good lesson--family over chores. I think people who grow up on farms really learn what it means to work hard.

Stopping by from writer's workshop. Here's links to mine if you get a chance to visit:
http://karenzemek.blogspot.com/2011/03/story-of-love-writers-workshop.html and
http://zemeks.blogspot.com/2011/03/greatest-love-story-ever-writers.html