Saturday, December 4, 2010

Stuck Like Glue

Eleven years ago I was scampering around my parents' home fussing over hair, makeup, nails...and our one year old son. It was my wedding day (sometimes the baby in the baby carriage comes first), and I don't remember feeling nervous. I remember being really excited to finally, finally say "I do" to one of the greatest men I had known. We were so excited to make our little family official.

Like every other 20 and 21 year old (I know we were young...get over it!) we thought we had everything under control...didn't need any advice...and thought we knew everything. Of course, we didn't...we should have welcomed some veteran advice...and we couldn't have possibly known what was laid out before us. You see, everyone goes into their marriage with high hopes, lots of love and patience and no thoughts of troubled waters ahead. It is a season of joy, anticipation, and excitement. But when troubles, adversity, and hard times inevitably knock on your front door, the character of your marriage comes shining through.

There have been moments in our last 11 years (don't I sound like that old wise grandma?) that I'm not very proud of. Words have been said that have hurt and torn down; angry moments and actions that now make me cringe; and I haven't always lived up to the promises I made to my hubby. There could have been more gentleness, more compromise, more apologies, more touching, more love. The beauty in our marriage, in any marriage, is that forgiveness often comes without asking; compromise is learned; and hopefully anger can melt away to understanding.

My hubby and I aren't perfect. We've made a lot of mistakes along the way. But my hope is that the storms we have weathered together have made us better spouses, parents, and friends. Learning from our mistakes is our mantra...and we take it very seriously. Growing up has its pains, especially when you are doing it with a spouse and child. Our journey may have been backwards, but it worked for us (and I can't tell you how many people told us it wouldn't work). Hubby knows me better than anyone else; he's been privy to the good, the bad, and the ugly.....and he still chooses to love me each and every day.

Happy anniversary, babe! I love you....and I'd do it all over again (having learned from our mistakes, it should be smooth sailing!!!)

2 comments:

The Lovely One said...

Happy anniversary! No marriage is perfect, but it sounds like yours is pretty good!

Crystal Escobar said...

Aw thats cute, happy anniversary to you both. Glad you've made it this far when everyone else thought it wouldn't last. Good for you!