Monday, January 10, 2011

Recycling

My weekend didn't end as planned. Hubby was supposed to come home after a week (and a couple more days) of pre-deployment training with bottle of wine and supper in hand so mama could have a break. On the contrary, he arrived feeling sick and needing to sleep sans wine or supper. With him he brought a week's (and a couple more days) worth of dirty, trained-in clothes for his loving wife to manage...did I mention that my washing machine is making a very weird sound? My #4 kiddo wound up losing the wrestling/tackling game the boys were enjoying but gained a black-eye and a may-almost-need-stitches cut on his eyebrow. And my poor little #2 seems to have acquired a case of strep throat and needs a little extra lovin'. So in an effort to buy myself some extra time today I am going to resort to a  little "green living". Please indulge me as I recycle a previous post in attempts to put some order into the chaos that my Monday has become.


Is This It?

Wouldn't it be great to go back to high school...only for a couple days? No bills, no cleaning, no laundry, no tantrums, no "mom I forgot _____" (fill in the blank). I look back to high school days and remember the carefree fun that I got to experience. Ok- so there was acne (um, hello? Wasn't that supposed to STAY in adolescence??!?), tests, book reports, homework, girl-spats with friends...but what I remember most is having a blast and loving every minute of it. I knew I was going to change- no- conquer the world! There was no doubt about it.

Somewhere along my path something changed. Now, I sometimes sit on my couch in my sweatpants (they're coming back in style right?) and washed-enough-to-be-comfy t-shirt and think....is this really it? Is this the mountain I thought I was going to climb? Have I truly conquered anything? Would the world truly end if I didn't pick up the toys that are somehow reproducing when I turn my back? Will my brood of men be able to tell that I hung up the wet, stinky towels, or washed their smelly clothes--seriously, how come boys smell so bad!!??-or organized the activity calendar so we are at the right place at the right time? Occasionally I consider making our "To Do" list into a "Ta Da" list- you know, one itemizing everything that mamma bear has done, accomplished, taken care of, wiped and/or changed and fixed throughout the day.

Probably not. But about the time I start to grab for my stash of secret chocolate (we all have one so stop judging me!) my inner kick-butt mamma says- heck ya!! I can do the laundry, make the supper-heck! plan a week of suppers, clean up the house, help with the homework, entertain the toddler, get the kids to do their chores-and make them think it was their idea all before daddy gets home from work! How's that for climbing a mountain!?

I am the CEO of the best business out there! Sure I may not truly get to set my own hours- but I always wake up to sweet stinky-breathed kisses and the sleep-filled eyes of my smiling boys who tell me I look beautiful and that they love me "so so much!" I would rather work for that boss any day. So, I may not get to pee alone -ok, I would actually like to do that every now and then...30 seconds, that's all I'm asking for!-and my toddler and preschooler always have to look at me while I'm showering and tell me that my boobs and be-bo (that's slang for belly button if you aren't already a Sandra Boynton reader) are broken, the 7 year old recommends every workout video known to man, telling me "you need that, mommy" and my 11 year old is on the verge of growing up and maybe not needing me as much as I need him. Even with all that....I think I not only met my goals I set as a wide-eyed, unknowing teen, I waved bye to them as I sailed right past!

No one can be mommy to my 4 little guys as good as I can. I know their hurts, their fears, their joys, their goals....their smells! But I wouldn't want anyone else to share in these moments (ok, daddy can have some too!) I get to spend my days as the one they want to talk to- good or bad.....and that's good enough for me.

So high school can keep it's cat-fights, Friday night football games, and flirty days. These adult days are full of a lot less judgement, no homework, and lots of peanut butter smiles that scream thank-you!

13 comments:

Johi said...

So true! I have earned my broken boobs and every wrinkle on my face!
I hope that your household gets healthy soon (mine too for that matter!). Good thing that we are super moms and don't need things like rest... :)

Big Fat Gini said...

You would have to pay me a ton of money to go back to high school. Millions. I hated it. HATED. I would have traded it back then in a heart beat.

Hope you find some peace today! Happy Monday!

Brandi said...

My washing machine sounds like a helicopter fixin' to take off! GAH! We had guests for New Year's and I made sure I washed everything beforehand, but then our dog had pups and I had to wash her dog bed and I was like 'y'all I'm so sorry, but I have to turn on the washing machine.' And, it's barely 4 years old. I guess I'm going to have to find one that can withstand a family of 6!

Loved this post... so true. It's hard most days, but so worth it. :)

Sandy said...

Love your post on being..the mom to 4 little boys... and I admire you for staying home with them.. My daughter has three little boys and she homeschools them also.. they are stationed in Guam and she loves being a mom!
Wanted to thank you for your visit to my blog today and to answer your question about painting your counter top with 4 little ones around.. it may be a chore,,, you must let it cure for at least 3 days with nothing touching it.. that might be hard! But if you can not cook or keep those little guys out of the kitchen.. then go for it!
Good luck!
Sandy

nomo wino daph said...

High school?? I just got out 2 days ago....I deleted my facebook, HAHA!!!!

I hope your week is awesome sweetie- thanks for your sweet words today:)

Sarah, Three Boys said...

Love your blog! I'm Your newest follower, hope you will stop by Threeboys and follow as well:)

http://threeboys-home.blogspot.com/

Jenni Chiu @MommyNaniBooboo said...

Ahhhhh... I whistfully dream of high school days every now and then. But mostly because I miss the feeling of being able to conquer the world. Nowadays I just wanna make it to nap time. It's wierdly confusing to me how "worth it" it all is, though.
PS- recycling rocks sometimes!

Anonymous said...

This post is SO timely because I just wrote about how much of a loser I was in high school! No amount of money or kid vomit could ever get me to go back! I'll take my dirty house and my kid asking 100 questions any day.

And didn't you know? Green living is totally in these days!! :)

Kym @ Travel Babbles said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog, travel-babbles.com.

This post warmed my heart, I look forward to reading more :) Happy New Year!

Pam said...

You have the most important job out there! My washing machine has been making noise for about 4 months now. Grrr.

Liz Mays said...

My ex-husband always told that there is NO way he ever could have done what I did through the years for the kids. Moms are something pretty special, aren't they? Aren't you?!!!!

Greta said...

Beautiful. Love your blog.

Not a Perfect Mom said...

I too was wondering why my acne hasn't left me yet...
I too would love to pee alone...
But I too have the best job ever (um, most of the time)
Thanks for stopping by! I've started Jillian Michaels workouts, alternating her shred and a backside and frontside workout...so sore...
did the p90x last year, then I fell off the cookie wagon and need to ease back in...
ugh...