Friday, January 28, 2011

Snips and Snails and Puppy Dog Tails

We've had an unusually warm streak of weather lately. So I decided to ditch the confines of our home and head to the mall...actually, to the mall play land with the 4 year old and 2 year old. Not nearly as fun as just shopping but ya count your losses and move on. I am quite the hermit in the winter so I considered this a fairly ambitious move. Gold star day for mommy!

However, there were lots of mommies with the same idea as me. Great minds must think alike. So instead of mindlessly watching my kids play in the the play area, I had to be in full-on referee status...making sure play was fair. For the most part, all the kiddos in attendance were running off what was left of their morning rush of energy enjoying its high before the crash of afternoon nap started to set in. Of course, the boys were all being super heroes or ultimate fighting champions or wrestlers or monsters...typical, I know. I'm not really sure what the girls were doing...I don't have any girls, so their mere existence seems mystical and foreign to me. I don't usually pay attention to what the little girls are playing.

I am much more comfortable with my kids roaring and growling and jumping off of things.  I do know, however, that the cliche that little girls are full of "sugar and spice and everything nice"....isn't always true. As I was sitting by myself in my corner ( I don't really like to socialize with people so much....we'll talk about that later) I watched a little girl open a can of whoop-a** on my 2 year old son who was trying to take a turn on the lily pads. She decided otherwise and proceeded to employ a WWF smackdown on my youngest. Now, I'm not naive. I'm sure my little man was not sans guilt, and more than likely provoked the little Miss Wanna-be Boxer. However, I watched her give my son a round-house, upper-cut and a left hook before he retaliated with a shove.

Both were crying by this point so I nonchalantly rescued my little man not wanting to make it into a big deal. But Mama Sugar Ray proceeded to swoop in as if it was her child under attack. While giving me the evil eye across the play land scattered with kiddos, she proceeded to tell her daughter (in a voice loud enough for all of us to hear) how boys are naughty and that she should stay far away from him. I think my jaw hit the floor!
Normally, I don't encourage violence but I was all "oh it's on, now!" Against my better judgement....I kept my mouth shut and endured the evil glances from her and her friend as they alternated from watching my son like a hawk and shooting accusatory glances in my direction. I left feeling awful, angry, embarrassed...and a little proud that my kiddo fought back. I know it's not the lesson we are supposed to teach...but give me credit for not starting my own WWF smackdown mommy style!

8 comments:

Johi said...

And that is why I don't take my kids to the mall playground! lol! It isn't the other kids- it's their mamas. I can stay at home in my pjs and let the dogs judge me. :)

April Westerhold said...

I give you credit. I have 2 boys and a girl and, in my opinion, they can each be terrors in their own way but I am always extra cautious that they are the nice ones on the playground/play area. I have no problems saying something to another person's kid who hits my child and if their parents want to get involve, I say BRING IT ON! Nobody messes with a Mama Tiger's cubs. LOL

Jen @ Rolling Through Looneyville said...

You totally need to move near me. I parent the SAME way. That lady is doing her kid a total disservice.

(Granted, this is coming from a woman whose dad told me to punch anyone who messed with me. I never had to, but it was nice to know that defending myself was totally ok).

I swear, helicopter parents who think their precious little gems are never guilty drive me NUTS.

By the way, I have two girls. Their games are foreign to me, too :)

Shay said...

Just came to visit from FTLOB and CANT BELIEVE WHAT I AM READING! I would not blame you a single bit for starting WWF smackdown right there in that mall. How rude for that mom to just assume the whole thing was ur kids fault! Some people are so naive!

Heather M said...

I loved he way you told this story!!! You had me laughing the whole time! I was imagining it all in my head, in my head you little guy won!! Stinky little girl!! You handled it well I must say, Im sure it was very difficult to keep you cool!! I hope that you have had a great weekend!!! <3

Anonymous said...

LOL! My niece is going to be one of those rowdy girls..it is pretty rare to see it though..lol. Sounds like you had an eventful day!

Vanessa said...

lol...smack down mommy style..love that!!!!

thanks for popping by my blog :-)
going to check yours out now!

Vanessa
p.s I am a neighbor just to the north in Canada!

Claremont First Ward said...

I can't stand situations like that. My kids have fought back on more than one occasion, too. That other child's mama needs a reality check! :)