Sunday, January 23, 2011

You Get Days Off?!

I read a post from Boobies, Babies, & A Blog (whom I love, by the way) about how a mama's job is NEVER done...we never get to clock out....and coffee breaks don't exist. Being a mama is tough...from butt wiping and laundry to helping with homework and life lessons...it's our purpose, our passion, our heart's desire. And even though nothing compares to those cherished peanut butter kisses and good morning hugs, every now and then mama only wants to work 9-5! So I dug out a post I have previously written to piggy-back on Mrs. Boobies' thoughts over the weekend.

Calling In Sick

Have you ever gotten up and wondered "why don't I get vacation days...or sick days, at the least?" True I can stay in sweats or even my jammies all day if I wanted. But I am far from lounging around eating bon bons all day (although, wouldn't that be great? Even for just one day.....) There are some days that I truly kind of wish I had to get up, look fabulous, and go to work.

The upside-I get to socialize with adults, I don't have to lose as many arguments (the 2 year old ALWAYS wins), I can drink my coffee without cute little moochers sneaking around for a quick little sip, I would actually get to use "sick" and "vacation" days, and my accomplishments are noted, monitored, and reviewed.

The downside-I would have to get up every morning, look good, take kids to daycare, and be sociable (ouch-that's gonna be tough), I have to hang out with people I may not even like let alone love, I still won't get to win many arguments-it's not very smart to argue with the boss, I always end up going to work when I'm sick anyway, and sometimes supervisors and bosses don't care about your feelings when they give you your review.

Aside from all that, I do think us SAHM types should get 1, maybe 2 (see, now I'm gettin' greedy), days a year that we can use for....well whatever; be it sick (because, darn it, when we're sick it really stinks to have to be mom and wife all day), to play hookie (oooh, like a spa day), or a true vacation day (meaning NO laundry, NO dishes, NO cooking - and maybe some sex on the side).

It's true that I have enabled the double standard to exist in my home. My hubby has a day off and he uses that excuse all day to avoid the "honey-do" list on the counter. My boys comment all the time that "mom doesn't work". Oh contrare my dear boy. Clean underwear doesn't magically appear in your drawer, and those toothpaste slobbers in the sink and smudges on the toilet don't disintegrate on their own (although that would be awesome!). No, the work of a mom/wife is NEVER done, hardly noticed, and rarely appreciated. But to the fault of only myself, I make sure those tasks are completed daily under the cover of my "Super Mom" alter ego. Hence, my unknowing family is never made aware of the Toothpaste Titan that I have defeated or the Dish Dilemma that is so swiftly vanquished by my mighty powers or even the Laundry Quandary that I have subdued. Alas, they are never the wiser.

On behalf of all moms everywhere, I will stand up and say "No More!" We demand our sick days and vacation time! I'm calling an all-mom revolt..."Super Mom"......well, she needs a coffee break.

So, I think tomorrow I'm doing just that. I'm calling in sick. I'm not going to shower (that's nothing new), I'm going to wear tights and a baggy T, and lounge with my boys. Call it an early weekend, playing hookie....or maybe just being lazy. But, every couple years I think we need to take the day off...........and boycott the laundry!

10 comments:

Heather said...

I do leave the house to work and still never get to win an argument....darn teenagers.
I was thinking the other day of faking sick......I could send the babies to the sitter and the rest would be at school. I am truly tempted.

Unknown said...

I so agree--I would love a sick day every once in awhile...at the very least a mental health day!

Poppy said...

Sick days? Ha! As I've watched my husband act as though he has the Dengue Fever moving from couch to bed and bed to couch for the past 3 days for a little chest cold I have to laugh. I didn't see him scrubbbing the toilet when I had it first!

Farah Jasmine said...

I want an off day!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE! Ok, I'm going to bed lol

Shell said...

I'm all for the sick days, but there needs to be more than 1 or 2 a year!

sara said...

hahahaha!! I missed you!! That's a great idea. If you get your clan to go for it, I will try it on mine:) Hope you and yours are all doing well.

Anonymous said...

I agree a 100% a sick day is a must every now and then :) I'm so glad you stopped by my blog! I'm now following your blog and you on twitter ::)

Nichole said...

I was so sick a couple of weekends ago that I was in literally in bed for 48 hours. Thank goodness it was on the weekend so my husband could take over.
As I dozed in and out of consciousness, I kept cursing that there I was, with a break and no responsibilities and I was spending it vomiting. What a waste!
What I'd give for a mental health day!

Stephanie said...

Sigh. The problem with one day off around here..the kitchen counter turns into a crap magnet and the laundry just waits for me! I need a body double!

Anonymous said...

I'm so down with finding a way for us to get sick days...it's only fair, right?

Thanks for the shout out dollface!